Friday, October 15, 2010

my ahhhaa moment...

I admit that I'm a freak when it comes to the way Jaida looks and my rooms being neat and organized. Whenever we go to the store Jaidas always pointing out the Dora T-shirt, the the Sponge Bob sandals, the Princess dress, and the Dora back pack, the Yo Gabba Gabba posters, and the Blues Clues shower curtains. I'll buy her PJ's, blankets, coloring books, and sippy cups with all her favorite cartoon characters, but when it comes to clothes, shoes, and decorations, I simply say "no." The other day we were at the store and Jaida and Kel were raveling at the Dora bathroom set, I walked up behind them and said, "oh how sad Jaida, you'll NEVER get to have that as your bathroom." Kel reassured her that as long as he's her dad, she will... lol.

Kel and I were talking about our new town home we're moving into in a couple of weeks, and how Jaida will get to have her own room again. Immediately I start speaking of how I'm going to decorate it; what colors I want, what kind of bedding I want, what kind of pictures I want, ect... typical me. Then Kel puts me in my place. Amazingly it all made perfect sense.

Dora, Sponge Bob, Princesses, Blues Clues, and Yo Gabba Gabba are some of the things that make her happy. It's sad that I force what I want onto Jaida, when the things that make her smile are perfectly normal and Innocent. Whats more important; forcing what I want onto Jaida and telling her what she wants, or embracing what she wants and accepting the things that make her happy and unique? This not only goes for this situation, but also others yet to come...

So bring on the Dora bedroom set, bathroom rugs, shoes, and Tshirts... Whatever makes her smile, makes me smile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohh, sounds like you just grew a little more! You are so right. Do you love Jaida AND yourself? Or just yourself? Each child has their unique personality and we have to learn to accept it (as long as it doesn't include anything we think is morally wrong or dangerous, etc.) If we don't, we are telling them that the only way we really love them is if they are exactly like us. I know from all your posts that you don't really feel that way, so you grew for your child! How awesome! Good for Kel for helping you to grow, too!

It's so cool watching you two become middle adults together! Thanks so much for sharing!

Jessie

Kassie said...

hahahahaha.. this is so funny because I am the same way with Toa and the character clothing etc.. I have thought about this many times, however, I broke down and bought a pair of Batman Crocs for Toa the other day because he absolutely LOVED them.. you're 110% right though, whatever makes them happy, regardless of how corny we think it is, it is about them and that big smile on their face..

Jaida will have the cutest Dora bathroom EVER though :)

Brian N Sela Misinale said...

Love the post :) Theyll only be lil once so why not... As long as its not the Jonas brothers...lol jk :)

MARCIA said...

I want the ahhaa moment where I want to decorate and be organized like you...LOL! I've always bought my kids character things just to keep them quiet, I never thought of happiness on their part, just mine...lol, sad I know. But you're right, it does make them happy and it's all just a phase.