Tuesday, October 19, 2010

our journey to daily scripture reading...

I loved listening to general conference a few weeks back, one talk that stuck with me pretty deep was Sister Wixoms' talk "Stay on the Path", the Primary General President. She hit a lot of points for us, but one thing that we took from her talk was how important our responsibilities are as parents. WE are everything to our children, and WE teach them everything. The one thought that uplifted me was that I have the power to make and break not only my habits, but Kels and Jaidas too. I realized that my habits will soon be Jaidas habits, and there are a lot of habits that I have and don't have that I want to fix, for her sake. One thing that I've NEVER been in the habit of was reading the scriptures daily. Sister Wixom shared a story about a young mother who realized that her young children had very short attention spans, and when it came to reading the scriptures daily she decided to start at reading only 3 verses a day. She started out reading the first two, then had the children repeat the last. To me that was brilliant!!!!! I had never thought about reading just two verses. My previous attempts have been UNSUCCESSFUL, but then I was reaching for at least a chapter a day, and it was tough... Since conference we've read every night, and It doesn't at all seem like a chore. We brush our teeth, read our three verses, say our bedtime prayer, then hit the sheets!!! SOOOO simple.... The funnest part of this is that Jaida looks forward to it every night. She runs into the bathroom to brush her teeth, the climbs on the bed and anxiously waits... she likes pretending she knows how to read.
Jaida especially loves repeating the last verse. When I say
  • "know" she says and points at her "nose."

  • "one" she says "two"

  • "unto" or "to" she says "three"

  • "I" she says and points at her "eyes"

It's such a pleasure to teach her these habits... I hope reading the scriptures won't be as difficult for her as it was for me.

3 comments:

Ane said...

This is awesome! Thanks for the advice, it seems overwhelming at times but I know it's really worth the extra effort! Thanks for reminder, I love the pics so priceless!

Rachelle said...

soo cute! i was inspired by that talk to. we started just reading 5 verses with the babies every night, singing a song, and then saying prayer. ame'lia tries to turn pages and folds her arms now. it's pretty cute. great job little mommy!

Kiki Fangupo said...

ok so I totally don't know you but came across your blog from Diana's. I was laughing so hard at the "picking your nose" post lol. continued to scroll down and noticed this post with a quote from Sister Wixom. Her son is in my ward. They are an awesome family!! Just thought I'd share ;)